Generate Computernames in MDT 2010 based on prefix and a sequencenumber
This procedure works like this: If they computername is in the database already (known), it will assign that name to the PC. If the computer is not in the database (unknown), it will generate a computername based on the prefix and the next sequencenumber.
Step 1- Setting up the Database (detailed step-by-step guide & Video tutorial for this step is available for download on www.deploymentcd.com )
- On the MDT Server (MDT01 in my example), install SQL Server 2008 Express SP1. After installation, enable Named Pipes and restart the service
- Using the Deployment Workbench, in the advanced node, create a new Database (named MDT in my example)
- Using SQL Management Studio (Server name is MDT01\SQLEXPRESS), create a Security Login for the domain\user account that you use for your Lite Touch installations
- For the previously created Security Login, add the following permissions to the MDT Database.
Step 2 – Add and configure a Stored Procedure + Table for generating computernames based on prefix + sequencenumber
- Download the files from here… http://www.deployvista.com/Repository/tabid/71/EntryId/59/DMXModule/396/Download/attachment/language/en-US/Default.aspx
- Using SQL Management Studio, open the InsertComputerNames.sql script and execute it (F5)
- For the Security Login created in Step 1, grant execute permissions to the IdentifyComputer Stored Procedure (found under Programmability / Stored Procedures)
- Open the MachineName.sql script and execute it (F5)
- Edit the MachineNameSequence table, in the prefix field, type in PC, in the sequence field type in 0 (Zero)
Step 3 – Configure the Deployment Share rules
- Use the info in the sample customsettings.ini file to configure the rules on your deployment share to use the stored procedure