MDT 2010 Lite Touch by default doesn’t automatically add the information you specify in the deployment wizard, here is a stored procedure and rules file that will do just that…
This sample will inject the computername you specify in the deployment wizard to the OSDComputerName and Description field in the database, but it can easily be extended to add more information.
- Download the sample files and copy InsertDB.ini to your Deployment Share \ Control folder.
- Using SQL Management Studio, modify the first line in InsertComputerName.sql script to match your database name, and then execute the InsertComputerName.sql script to create the InsertComputerName stored procedure
- .Assign execute permissions on the InsertComputerName stored procedure to the user you use to run the Lite Touch installation. The user also needs read/write permissions to the database.
Setting the permissions on the InsertComputerName stored procedure
- Modify your rules to ask for the computername (SkipComputerName=NO)
- In the Task Sequencer, add an extra Gather action, name it Insert Computer Name, and configure it for full processing with the InsertDB.ini rules file
Configuring the Task Sequence
Note: To see the newly added computer entry after the Insert Computer Name actions has executed, you need to close and open the deployment workbench. The Deployment Workbench is not very good understanding that you added info to it outside the UI 🙂